New player with questions

For our english speaking guests

Moderator: Moderatoren2

GFW
Soldat
Soldat

New player with questions

Beitrag von GFW »

Hi, first up, what an amazing achievement in open-source gaming!

I just ran into this game less than a week ago and I'm deeply impressed with it. But I'm having some trouble (running the current windows release on Win7).
The trouble is I don't think I'm properly playing a campaign. I chose "start a new campaign" and chose the first one. But when I finished the first level, it just said I was done, and the only way I could find to play the second level was to choose Skirmish and choose ASC002 from the list of possible games. From some comments here on these message boards I don't think I'm doing it the right way. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Greg

PS: Doing it that way, I've played through level3. That was a bit of a step up from level2!
Jered
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier
Re: New player with questions

Beitrag von Jered »

Good evening GFW,

First of all welcome to PBP. I've been here since june last year and you seem to be going through the same experiences I went through. I still consider myself as new. I am only now about to start in PBP itself by going through what is called an NSP (Neusiedlerplanet, Eng.: New-Settler-Planet). But it must be said that I am probably 'very, very slow' ;).

I was as impressed (and still am more and more) about what was and still is being achieved by those behind the scene. I am still learning many things.

Also what the Campaign is concerned. Somehow it also threw me out in the beginning and I am playing it using the 'skirmish'-option. I have now reached skirmish ASC010b. So don't worry too much about that: it works aswell.

If you have any questions where I can help don't hesitate to ask.

Greetings,
Jered

PS. Be warned, as you go through that campaign it gets more challenging, but that's what we expect and like, don't we? :mrgreen:
Ein Allmächtiger ist mehr als alle Mächtigen zusammen (William Gurnall)
fff
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von fff »

game -> new game -> continue campaign with password -> next -> "payback" -> start

or
map 2 starts right after map 1. (you can always save/load)
GFW
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von GFW »

Jered,
Thanks for the welcome. I don't know if I'll ever play on PBP itself. I think I did OK on ASC003 though - I completed it only losing infantry units, no vehicles. Had to do a lot of repairs though!

fff,
How do you know what the passwords are? I did continue campaign with password -> next -> "payback" -> start and it took me to the 2nd level. Mildly disappointing as I've finished the 3rd via the Skirmish approach. More to the point, when you say "map 2 starts right after map 1" - that's just not what happened when I finished map 1. Instead, it said I'd met all the objectives, did I want to quit or continue. Choosing Continue just brought up the same message that I'd met all the objectives - infinite loop of clicking that way. Quitting quit. So something isn't right, either with my configuration or the behavior of the game on this Windows box.
GFW
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von GFW »

Oh, ok, now it's working - I played level 2 from the payback password and when it ended it gave me the option to continue and told me the password for level 3. It's possible the first time I played level 1 that I just didn't pay attention to the message, but it's too bad there's no graceful recovery from that. Anyway, I'm good to go now, but I'll have to replay level 3.
Retro
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von Retro »

Hi and welcome,

I'm also a very new player. I started sometime last summer and have been playing some standard ASC games with some of the very friendly and helpful players here. I'd recommend you do the same as there is no substitute for player against real players. I'm not very good but those that I've played against have been very patient and helpful allowing me to learn the game at my slow rate haha.

I will also be heading into full PBP games, but I wanted to fully understand the fundamentals of the game itself first.

Playing me may not be the best way to learn, as my tactics probably won't be the most sensible and therefore not what 'real' players use. But i'm happy to play if you are :-)
valaraukar
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von valaraukar »

Hi all, I just wanted to ask if there is anyone willing to play with me? (teach me how to play) I have not even finished any of the campaigns yet. Where is the best place to ask for players?

Thank you

P.S. I have not played the original BI2, but I really like this game
g00gle
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Einheitenset: mk3

Beitrag von g00gle »

well you would learn the most improtant basics by playing the campaign :D

at least controls and basic strategic desicions.
otherwise you should just look for Duels. Do you already have a PBEM-account?
Ich habe zwar keine Lösung, bewundere aber das Problem!
valaraukar
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von valaraukar »

Hi yes i have an account ( at least i hope, i cant really speak german). i am trying the campaign, but it is taking me a lot of time to figure out the right moves. it is fun, but if someone can help a bit, it would also be nice :] (btw i completed the tutorial, so I know the very basics)
Jered
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von Jered »

Good morning Valarauker,

I would be happy to help you in English, by playing a Duell with you, where we would make a move from time to time (not on a daily basis). But at the moment I am outside of the country (Belgium). We could start somewhere in the middle of next week.

I myself am still learning many things. I started a campaign in summer last year and am still busy with it (at a very easygoing pace). I played a few duels and just started this month on the NSP.

If it would be ok with you, we could start a duel somewhere around the middle of next week. But don't wait for me if you get the chance of starting earlier with someone else if you get the opportunity.

Kind regards,
Jered
Ein Allmächtiger ist mehr als alle Mächtigen zusammen (William Gurnall)
Antworten