Beitrag von Retro »

Sounds good :-)
Arkmorn
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Re: Very New

Beitrag von Arkmorn »

Hi Retro,

I dont speak any German at all but manage ok. As others have said most ASC/PBP players speak some English. I use Google Crome to translate pages/emails/messages on the web sites that dont have an English translation.

The best way to work out which units do what is to play the game.

PBP is lots of fun. The games progres quite slowly becasue of the large number of people involved. You start on a "new player" map with 3 other new players. You play 70 moves on this map which gives you a good oppertunity to learn the game before moving to one of the PBP planets.

I play a lot of ASC games with Eclipse, who speaks fluent English

My email address is chris.ingham@severnsidesac.com if you have any questions or would like to play a game.

The ASC campaign is hard. I have still not managed to complete it all. But all the tactical problems have a solution. I can give you a clue to wining the 3rd map but will not post it here as that might spoil the game for others (It took me about 7 atempts to figure it out)

Attached is a small campaign I built using the Map Editor. Its not as good as the ASC campaign and has several bugs. But is quite playable. Much easier than the ASC campaign (in fact one of the bugs is that its too easy) but good for learning what units do for the Rehaner unit set. In PBP you can decide which unit set you want to play with so you can select Cromoner if you are more familier with this from playing Battle Isle.

See you on the battlefield :-)

Arkmorn
Dateianhänge
lord of the isles campaign.zip
(38.68 KiB) 281-mal heruntergeladen
Arkmorn (Consolidated Outworlds)
Retro
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von Retro »

Hi,

It looks like i'm 'just' starting to get to grips with the Terraner in our game. Although I have a lot of catching up to do now. What really sets this game apart for me is the resource collection, distribution and building side of it. Our current game doesn't have any of that and so is a little bit disappointing for me. But I am still enjoying learning the different units and managing to get my arse kicked haha.

Thanks for taking the time to welcome me and give me the little heads up. I'll definitely check out your campaign and I'm definitely willing to play any games that people who don't mind playing against a noob want to set up :-)
apteeth
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von apteeth »

Hello from another newbie. This is my first turned-based computer game. It's also my first serious "Strategic" game. I didn't even got to play chess when I was a kid. I did finish the C&C Generals campaign on "Normal" difficulty - now I see how such a joke its difficulty was... just some mindless entertainment.
Retro hat geschrieben:[SNIP]
Bearing in mind I've only played and finished the first two standard campaign missions, the third one I just cannot beat, I find it impossible :-(
I just beat it after a significant amount of playing hours over two-days. It was quite a challenge, but it payed off. I found it to be quite a steep step, but it really brought up my tactical skills and my knowledge of the game.

I'd have wasted less time if I had read up on visibility and damage - something that I still have to do - but now I feel like I've a good idea of what's going on. I'm evaluating the terrain's visibility/jamming, I'm conscious of fuel/ammo/exp variables (how many times did I found my snipers in the middle of battle without ammo, and my tanks attacking armor with machine-gun...), and I'm doing much sounder offensive and defensive maneuvering.

I promise you this: you might find it difficult, like I did, to conquer the first depot, on the 3rd level. You might despair after discovering just what comes next, but in the end of it, you might very well fall in love with this game. I know I did.
ehemaliger User

Beitrag von ehemaliger User »

Hello!

I see, you are on the right way!

Welcome!
g00gle
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Einheitenset: mk3

Beitrag von g00gle »

I invite you also to our IRC-channel #asc-pbp on the quakenet. Feel free to join us, if you think that you feel like talking about the game.

I also recommend playing duels against other players since the A.I. is almost very stupid. (but the numbers of units make it all up)
Ich habe zwar keine Lösung, bewundere aber das Problem!
Madlock
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von Madlock »

Hi
I have compiled 2.4.97.0 version on my Debian. What I have to do if I want to get best/most popular modifications? I have downloaded "GFX Dateien" to resolve black hexes problem, and this helped. I've also tried to install other things from download section, but in most cases I heve error, so I don't have even good map to play skirmish vs AI. I read here there are several races/factions in this game, what I have to do to play them?
fff
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von fff »

I don't recommend skirmish mode because there is no replay (at least with my asc). And the AI isn't very bright. Did you try the asc standard campaign? You can also play with someone per email (just post something in the subforum "Duelle"). What kind of error do you get? The map should be in the same directory where asc saves the savegames.
If you want to play Project Battle Planet then first you have to make a registration (email address and nickname) to get further instructions. You also will have to chose your own set(race). "Rehaner" are similar to the units from the campaign. PBP is a long-term game and it's better to have played one or two duelle(challenges) against another player before starting.
g00gle
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Einheitenset: mk3

Beitrag von g00gle »

for some coustom maps you probably need project battle-planet specific files or unit definitions. When you compile ASC out of mercury, it would mean:

hg update -r PBP
hg pull
./configure --enable-extradata
make
sudo make install

(probably the update and pull thing switched with each other, don't know the order anymore)

This is - of course - if you already built ASC once from the source. Also this means, Linux-users (of PBP) are building their ASC through the source code instead of using the Package in the reprository. Further information for you can be found on http://www.asc-hq.de --> Downloads --> Source code

this could solve probably some map errors I had if the maps use specific units. This might also not be nessecary, but will result in the version most people in this Forum are running and this version will be nessecary for joining the project battle planet.

The ASC-package in the Reprository is outdated for shure. At least it is for ubuntu. And since debian is not known for latest software but most stable software i don't think it is different there.
Ich habe zwar keine Lösung, bewundere aber das Problem!
Madlock
Soldat
Soldat

Beitrag von Madlock »

~/asc $ hg update -r PBP
0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

~/asc $ hg pull
pulling from http://hg.asc-hq.org/hg/asc
searching for changes
no changes found

For example I try to load Belagerung.map and a window pop up:
Warning
Could not find a vehicle with an ID of 15297 This is usually caused when the file you are trying to load uses object from optional data packages that ou don't have installed.
Antworten